top of page
  • kateschmidt59

Pennsylvania to Stock More than 3 Million Trout for the 2020 Trout Fishing Season

This article was originally published on

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is busy stocking the state’s waterways for the upcoming 2020 trout season.

About 3.2 million trout averaging 11 inches in length will be stocked by the commission in 707 streams and 130 lakes open to public angling this year, including about 2.2 million rainbow, 660,000 brown and 360,000 brook.

In addition to trout raised at state fish hatcheries, cooperative nurseries operated by sportsmen’s clubs across the state will add another 1 million trout to waters open to public angling.

About 70% of those fish will be stocked in the preseason, prior to opening days of the trout fishing season. The other 30% will be stocked in-season during replenishment stockings.

The public is welcome to join in the stocking events, which are often labor-intensive, requiring many hands to get the trout to the stream or lake.

The stocking schedules can be found through the commission’s FishBoatPA or the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission website.


bottom of page